Cute

Cute

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

The Help

I really liked this book.  I gave it four stars out of five on Goodreads.  I thought the story was engaging, well pieced together.  Sometimes books that go back and forth between different character's points of view can be frustrating to me because they interrupt the flow of the storyline, but I felt that Stockett did a really great job with keeping a good flow of the story going.  I also liked the different characters.  I liked Minnie especially well because of her spice and wit. 

Somethings I didn't love about the book.  First, after studying a little bit about the American South, I find it hard to believe that Skeeter had such an easy time coming into the black neighborhoods.  With more militant black power groups forming during that time, I can't imagine she didn't get more resistance from the black community.  I also find it hard to believe that she was so aloof as to the hostility toward blacks in Jackson, Mississippi, possibly the worst place for blacks to live during that time frame.  However, even though I thought she would probably have been more informed, it did seem very realistic that white women failed to see how their involvement in black people's lives was detrimental to them, a lot.  

I also didn't love the over usage of the Lord's name in vain.  But basically, that was all.  I really did like this book.

2 comments:

  1. what are you under on goodreads? I am trying to find you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachell,
    I agree with you. I don't know much about that time period in Jackson, so it was interesting to read your review. You are just so smart.

    ReplyDelete